Here are 10 reasons why historic Downtown Lawrenceburg is important
- Historical Downtown Lawrenceburg provides a sense of community and place. It is the heart and soul of our community. The historic downtown area is where it all began. It is a reflection of the American people who came before us to this area; their insight, their hope, and their struggle to build a civilization.
- Historic Downtown is a reflection of our present community and leadership and how it sees itself. When industries begin looking at our community as a possible location, they examine many aspects of that particular location —is it alive and viable, or does it represent local disinterest and failure?
- Historic Downtown represents a significant portion of the community’s tax base. If the district declines, property value will decrease and can subsequently affect the surrounding property value. Likewise, if the Historic Downtown district appreciates in value, the surrounding properties will also appreciate in value. This aspect affects both property owners, local government and could increase the tax burden on other parts of the community.
- Downtown represents a vast amount of public and private investment. Imagine the costs to recreate all the public infrastructure and buildings that already exist inthe Historic Downtown district. Think of the waste of past dollars spent if Historic Downtown is neglected.
- Historic Downtown is a major tourist draw. When people travel, they want to experience the nostalgia and uniqueness of the community they are traveling through. Historic Downtown Lawrenceburg is very unique, and there isn’t a downtown like ours in the whole world!
- The buildings in the Historic Downtown area are some of the oldest, if not the oldest in our community. We have a responsibility to preserve this history for future generations. The buildings are historically significant and help highlight Lawrenceburg’s history.
- Historic Downtown is a business center. It was the first business center in Lawrenceburg and serves as an incubator for new businesses of tomorrow. Historic Downtown is home to service opportunities such as attorney’s offices, financial institutions, and insurance offices.
- Historic Downtown Lawrenceburg district is conveniently located to our government center. It is in walking distance to City Hall, County Court House and the Post Office.
- Historic Downtown is also a center of unique shops and family owned restaurants. Most of the businesses are independently owned and support families who support local schools, local businesses, local government, keeping profits in town.
- Community Pride–A healthy downtown district is a symbol of community pride. It boosts economic health and quality of life.
The City of Lawrenceburg Historic District Design Guidelines are intended to provide Lawrenceburg’s Historic Zoning Commission (HZC), residents of the City of Lawrenceburg’s local historic districts, and managers of other properties governed by the HZC with guidelines for building rehabilitation, new construction, and other changes which would affect the overall appearance of Lawrenceburg’s historic areas. Learn more about Lawrenceburg’s Historical Zoning Commission here.